Dance classes for teenagers are a great way to make friends, stay very active, and to get comfortable in your own skin. It’s a great physical activity, and it can be as competitive as you want it to be. There are hip hop dance classes for teenagers that can be a lot of fun, contemporary dance classes, ballet classes, and plenty more. Whichever style of dance interests you the most, finding a class that aligns with your goals is the best way to ensure you’re having a great time.
5 Benefits of Dance Classes for Teens
There are many benefits of dance classes for people of all ages, including teenagers. Here are some of the primary ones:
- Building self-confidence: It’s so common to lack self-confidence, but learning it at a young age is something that can stick with someone for life. Dance certainly helps with this!
- Learning teamwork: Dance classes are often a team or group thing, so even if you’re dancing solo, you’ll still learn to get along with all types of different people and to work with them towards similar goals.
- Practicing perseverance: This is a skill that you’ll learn in dance as you face challenges and overcome them. It’s not just something you’re either born with or that you lack, perseverance is something that requires constant practice.
- Posture: Dancing helps teach better posture and generally being in-touch with your body and your movements.
- Mindfulness: Dance is more fact-paced than yoga, but it can help you to learn mindfulness and even enter into a meditative state.
Online Dance Lessons for Teenagers
There are some dance studios that offer more formal classes online, and then there are more casually options on YouTube where you might learn the basics of dance, learn a move or two at a time, and other shorter snippets. But there are also some YouTube creators who make dance lessons online that could be similar to what you’d find in a public class in person, except without that extra personal touch of having a teacher/coach and ensure your form and timing is correct.
Nonetheless, online dance lessons are a good alternative if you don’t want to dedicate yourself to a class in person. Also, some teachers will use webcams so they can actually coach you in real time, rather than you simply dancing along to a recording.
Here are some places you can find free online dance lessons:
Some places offer ballet lessons for teens, some offer hip hop dance classes for teens, some offer a combination of different styles – check them out and see what you like!
Dance Classes for Teens Near Me
Are you looking for teen dance classes in your community, instead? If your local paper has a leisure guide, you’ll find a list of most classes in there. Most cities will have a lot of different dance studios. You can find reviews of dance studios near you, lists on the internet no matter where you live, and you can even get old school and crack the phone book but one of the best ways to find dance classes for teens is through word of mouth and recommendations, dancers tend to know what’s up. So, if you know anyone who dances, ask them were they practice!